Gotta love this. I was exchanging emails with MB’s teacher today and his final note shared a little bit of my MB.
I was doing kinder assessments with MB and I complimented her on her correct answers to the questions and MB said, “I know a lot of things.”
That sums our girl up.
In the lead or control.
Swears she knows more than anyone else.
Absorbs everything she can possibly from conversations, surroundings, life.
Funny how those 6 little words just bring to vision our little girl in a nutshell.
It was good for a laugh or too around the dinner table as well.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Today I went over to the pool to do my cross-training work out for the week.
I always miss the pool when I get in…I just love swimming. It was our first real day of fall too. Temps in the 80s and just wonderful.
The swimming workout was good….felt good to tire out my arms.
However that was not my inspiration.
About halfway through my workout, I saw a mentally handicapped twenty something man in a wheelchair coming to the pool
Using the contraption I had always seen but wasn’t sure what it was for he was lowered into the pool.
He then proceeded to move his legs slightly and swim (doggie paddle) at least 4 laps before my workout was over.
It was amazing to watch. I can only imagine how it must feel. Confined to a wheel chair but in the water moving completely by himself.
Not only was he swimming by himself but with real determination he was swimming 25 yard laps. I was so touched watching him swim.
It also reminded me that I am so blessed that I am healthy and so is the rest of my family. We all have the ability to walk, run, swim, bike. I take it for granted. I am sure we all do.
It will be my inspiration the next time I feel like I can’t run another step. I can, I have the ability. It is just mind over matter. If this 20 something year old can battle everything going against him and get in the pool and swim over 100 yards then I can too can run that extra step, that extra mile….Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
So today I went in to help MB make her bed. Part of her daily chores that I must say she is doing really well without much pushing. As I went to help her she yelled at me to stop. I was a little taken back till she informed me that I wasn’t doing it right. I guess she had TB had discussed the proper way to make the bed for a princess and I was no longer qualified to help. My heart is not broken by this discovery…but over filled with love for my lovebugs and their bed made for a princess!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Nothing beats family time…and I cherish every minute.
But there is something to be said for getting away for a day or two.
I was able to get away this past weekend and how wonderful it was.
I headed east to Kentucky. So on top of visiting 2 of my best friends. Yep, lucky me they are married! I got to get a little southern charm.
The weather was just awesome. 70’s. Sunny. Clear Skies.
Combine that with wine, long walks, good food, and good chats. I was so refreshed and thankful for everything I am blessed with.
The past few visits have been full of venting, talking about the crap in my life, and the dark cloud had just always hung around.
That is a thing of the past. What a difference it made. It was just wonderful. No black clouds. Nothing to really bitch about. Just shows how talking negative can make you feel negative. Talking positive leads to being positive.
About the only downer was leaving and realizing it was going to be awhile till I saw them again. Friends know no distance, but it sure would be nice to have them around for more weekly dinners, walks, and wine.
Oh and I have to mention I was reminded how the little touches for guests can make you smile. There was a note on my bed, flowers in my room, and she even turned down my bed one night. Oh yeah over the top. I must remember flowers in the room when we have company. They made me smile all weekend.
What little touches do you do when you have company?? (I am not afraid to steal them!!!)Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
It dawned on me this morning that Scottsdale is making it’s mark.
Last night I had a thought of MB and I riding down to Starbucks in the morning. She could ride her bike and I could run/walk with her. It is about 2 miles each way…and full of rolling hills. TB thought I was crazy. MB wasn’t so sure. So I said ok we can just drive.
Well this morning around 7am, MB woke me up and asked when we were going on our ride to Starbucks. I asked her if she was sure she wanted to ride her bike, or if she wanted to drive. She said no lets ride, we can take it easy if we need to.
So we got ourselves dressed and off we went. First off, we are up, dressed, and out the door by 7:30? Really..previously I would have been in my PJ’s for at least another hour. But we had to do this early if we didn’t want it to be hot.
The ride was great on the way there. A few times I heard her saying “I think I can, I think I can” as we went up the hills. Every few minutes she would point to a bird, bunny, or other creature on the path. We waved and said good morning to the various bikers and walkers. Happy happy calms we were. Oh I forgot MB had her camelback on and was keeping hydrated.
We ended up skipping Starbucks and hitting up the AJ’s bakery. Fruit salad to share and muffins for us both. We ate outside and enjoyed the morning.
Now the ride back wasn’t all happy. There was a little whining and a little I can’t do this, my legs are so tired. But we pressed on and we made it. She did awesome, I felt great having had my morning workout…and we both had enough fun that she wants to go back next weekend. Plus she added that we could do it one evening for dinner too.
I must admit that riding/running 4 miles first thing in the morning was not my previous norm. I would of never even thought of that as a way to start/spend the weekend. Things are a changing…and I like it. Love it even more that it’s not just me but the whole family!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 4 so far )
Ok I really am in heaven. I know this is probably getting to be an old topic but I have such an awesome neighborhood. Here was my afternoon.
We had plans to have one set of neighbors over for swimming and dinner…plus some outside TV installation. So when MB got off the school bus I was already in suit ready to head to the pool.
On my way to the bus stop I saw another set of neighbors and invited them over to join us! Figured MB would be happy to have some older kids in the mix to play with…and selfishly knew that would keep me more “free”…kids are more fun than mom.
Then the bus arrives…and MB invites the whole bus stop over to the pool. Well everyone shows up and what a blast. We had 9 kids and 4 moms all in the pool trying to beat the heat. The playdate only lasted about an hour till everyone headed home to get dinner ready…but we had fruit and fun.
I just can’t believe my luck at finding a house in such a wonderful neighborhood.
After things settled down we grilled out some grub and enjoyed a relaxing evening…I was so proud of MB as she took little G to her room to play after she had finished eating, giving us a little more adult time. Later as I was putting MB to bed I asked what they had done in her room. I had to laugh…she said she was teaching little G how to jump on the bed! Whooops…well at least they didn’t get hurt and they were quiet!
Now off to check out the outside TV install is going…so excited to think about football while hanging in the pool!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 4 so far )
Well its official. We are now in school. Kindergarten has begun.
A few things I learned today.
1) A million parents will go the classroom on the first day. Cameras, video, and tears. The principal will have to get them all the leave by saying class is starting. However, if you happen to get to see your little one sitting in their chair at their desk in the big classroom. You will cry. I managed the bus stop ok but the little stop in the classroom. The sweet smile when she saw us there, even though it wasn’t expected. It made me realize that she was a big girl now.
2. I am lucky to be sharing this with someone who is just as caught up in the moment as me. I wasn’t the one doing drive-bys at the school in hopes of seeing MB on the playground. Each time he made my heart swell just a little bit bigger.
3. The little things don’t go un-noticed. I put a little I love you note in MB’s lunch box and while she didn’t say anything at first after being home for a while she says to me “someone put a little note in my lunchbox”, “who did that?”, “you did and it was really sweet”. Enter hug and a few more tears.
4. Expect some independence with what they eat. We had to pack lunch and a snack. When I asked what she ate for her snack turns out she ate her PB&J for the snack and ate the carrots, grapes, cheese as lunch.
5. There is no better feeling then every time you tell someone who MB’s teacher is they squeal with delight and tell you how much you will love him. I heard so many wonderful things about Mr. Kindergarten that I can’t wait to see him live in action.
6. That even if your little one goes to school for years it won’t be the same as their first day of kindergarten. I have not been a SAHM so MB has always been in pre-school. We have done drop off and pick up for years. Yet today it was different. I paced, I could never fully focus and constantly was waiting for her to come home off the school bus. There is no preparation for when they really head off to school.
7. That I have wonderful neighbors. From the first greeting of the day telling MB she looked great for her big day, to the bus stop chatter, to the mom who brought popsicles for all the kids when they got off the bus, till the last neighbor who checked in to see how the day was — and all the other’s that followed it on facebook. It takes a village and I am loving our village.
8. Life is good and I officially have a Kindergartner.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 6 so far )
So last night TB took the camera out to play with nighttime settings. He came back with a few really cool shots and I had to smile. That is my backyard…we live here! How lucky I feel.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )